Welcome! This site is for aspiring authors, keen readers, and anyone who’s interested in the writer’s life. If you want to live the writer’s life, or are simply curious about what it looks like, then I’d love to have you as a regular reader. Just enter your email below to receive my monthly newsletter, and you can also download my free eBook detailing $250,000 worth of short story contests you can enter.
Here are some questions you may have about the site:
- Finding some inspiration: I talk about my big move from London to Barbados and how it affected my writing
- Introducing A Virtual Love: the first public announcement about my second novel, due out in spring 2013
- The Sense of an Ending: my review of Julian Barnes’s Booker-winning novel
- Something you didn’t know about me: I reveal a few secrets and introduce some of the site’s highlights
- How interesting projects come about: the story of a short story, from idea to publication
Click here to see all my posts since 2007, sorted both chronologically and by category.
I am the author of the novel On the Holloway Road (Legend Press, 2009), which won the Luke Bitmead Writer’s Bursary and was shortlisted for the Dundee International Book Prize. My next novel, A Virtual Love, deals with identity in the age of social networking, and is out in spring 2013.
I’ve lived in London, Barbados and New York, and previously worked as a staff reporter for The Wall Street Journal. My work has also been published in Monthly Review, the Cincinnati Post, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Seattle Times, Tampa Tribune, Toronto’s Globe and Mail, Post Road, Carillon, Smoke, and in books by Twenty Stories Publishing, Greenacre Writers and Leaf Books, among others. For more of my published writing, click here.