A couple of years ago, frustrated with her publisher, writer Cherry Potts decided to set up her own publishing company, Arachne Press. She’s now published five short-story collections (one of which had a story of mine in it), and has a novel and a poetry collection in the works.

In this interview, Cherry shares some of the lessons she’s learned, and gives some tips and warnings to anyone who wants to follow a similar path.

From the trick she uses to persuade bookshops to stock her books right down to the nitty-gritty on printing and book-binding techniques, it’s all here. I think it’s an interesting insight into life as an independent publisher.

Poets take note: the video also contains details of a forthcoming narrative poetry collection for which Arachne is currently seeking submissions.

1. Michelle Davidson Argyle 6 December 2013 at 6:17 am

Andrew, this was lovely! I really enjoyed watching the interview and thought it was quite informative and interesting considering I’ve been published by a small independent press and am now doing things myself because they closed their doors. Thanks for sharing this!

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 6 December 2013 at 10:53 am

Glad you liked it, Michelle. I think Cherry was very honest about both the good and the bad parts of setting up a publishing company. It’s not an easy thing to do, but it’s certainly been an interesting experience! Good to hear that it was helpful for you.

2. Fiona Pearse 7 December 2013 at 4:55 pm

What a great way to interview. Nice one, Andrew. Useful information for me too!

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 8 December 2013 at 3:35 pm

Glad it was useful, Fiona! I’ve seen that you’ve been going the independent route yourself, and seems that you’re learning a lot about the process as well!

1. Fiona Pearse 9 December 2013 at 3:33 pm

Yes indeed, Andrew. So much to learn but I’m really enjoying it!

3. Vishy 11 December 2013 at 9:54 am

Thanks for this post, Andrew. It is wonderful to know about Cherry Potts and Arachne press and the wonderful work they are doing.

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 11 December 2013 at 1:43 pm

You’re welcome, Vishy. It is a very interesting story, and quite a journey that Cherry has been on. It sounds as if it’s quite hard to make a good living as an independent publisher, but I hope she makes it work. She publishes a good range of books, and seems to base her judgements on literary merit rather than commercialism.