So, a post in honour of one of my favourite book blogs.

My wife and I have adopted a little kitten here in Barbados. Well, not sure if that’s the right word — she was hanging around the house, and we brought her inside and started feeding her and my wife gave her a name (Bluebell). Now Bluebell has taken to helping me with my writing, as shown in the pictures.

I wrote “helping” tongue in cheek, but in fact she does help me in a way. She makes me happy and positive, which is an important thing when you have to battle negative self-talk every time you come fresh to the page. She reminds me that life can be simpler than I sometimes make it. On the downside, I do waste a lot of time taking pictures of her and posting them on the internet when I should be writing 🙂

If you’re a cat-lover, you can click on each photo to get a full-size version! So here it is, the most burning question of the day:

[poll id=”2″]

1. Caroline 27 April 2012 at 3:22 am

How nice to be honoured like this. Thank you so much.
    What an adorable cat she is and a lovely name.
    I think cats can teach us a lot of things. Or just cheer us up.

1. Andrew Blackman 27 April 2012 at 6:16 pm

You’re welcome, Caroline! Yes, I think they can do both of those things. And also drive us crazy sometimes by climbing where we don’t want them to 😉

2. litlove 27 April 2012 at 4:59 am

Cute kitty! Colette said that if you wanted to be a writer, get a cat. She firmly believed that a sleeping cat nearby made for exactly the right soothing, creative atmosphere. So you follow in fine footsteps! (and pawprints)

1. Andrew Blackman 27 April 2012 at 6:21 pm

Ah, I hadn’t heard that. Thanks for injecting some literary content into a somewhat fluffy post 🙂 It’s good to think of a French writer 100 years ago doing the same thing as me here in Barbados today. And at least Colette didn’t have a digital camera tempting her to take photos every time the sleeping cat raised its paw…

1. Emma 28 April 2012 at 9:19 am

And what a reference for a writer. Colette has a beautiful prose.

1. Andrew Blackman 28 April 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never read anything by her. Do you have any particular recommendation?

1. Emma 29 April 2012 at 5:11 pm

I read Le blé en herbe recently (The Ripening Seed)

There’s a review of La Chatte on Caroline’s blog.

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 30 April 2012 at 1:22 pm

Thanks! I checked out the description of The Ripening Seed and it sounds excellent. Look forward to reading your review, if you get to it. Do you review every book you read, or just a selection?

3. Delia @ Postcards from Asia 27 April 2012 at 9:18 am

At first I thought Caroline was doing a guest post on your blog. But the cat pics are not bad either. 🙂 She’s lovely and the name is beautiful. I love it when they purr.
    Cats help with the writing, you say? Maybe I should trade my three dogs for a cat.
    By the way, who is Francesca?

1. Andrew Blackman 27 April 2012 at 6:25 pm

Guest post – good idea! I should ask her. And maybe get you on here too…

Ah, Francesca, well spotted! I forgot that the screen was visible. You got an unintended sneak peek at novel #3 (and also a glimpse of my crazy, disordered way of writing). It’s early days, as you can see. Francesca is the main character’s semi-estranged daughter. Will talk more about it as I get further along.

I guess dogs might also help with writing – I always find a good walk helps with the creative process, particularly when I’m blocked. But when I’m blocked, I don’t go for a walk because I feel I need to stay at the computer and try to make progress… So a dog might get you out of the house when you need to be. I’ve never been a dog person though.

4. Raj 27 April 2012 at 1:55 pm

I lubs cats. So many writers are cat lovers, I wonder what the connection might be. 🙂

1. Andrew Blackman 27 April 2012 at 6:27 pm

🙂 Hmm, I wonder… Maybe we are kindred spirits because of our insatiable curiosity. Or maybe because we like to laze around all day, sleep too much and have others cater to our every whim…

5. Emma 28 April 2012 at 9:21 am

It’s a funny idea and I like cats although I don’t have one, I don’t have time for pets and they deserve time.

1. Andrew Blackman 28 April 2012 at 12:04 pm

You’re right, and I haven’t had a cat for years for the same reason. I think that’s why I’m going a bit googoo over this one!

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 11 May 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hey Caroline
      I forgot to reply to this – really enjoyed the pictures, especially Edgar Allen Poe composing with kitty on shoulder 🙂

6. Jules 9 May 2012 at 9:48 pm

Now you’ve done it … encouraged me to engage in Cute Kitty photo voting. Can YouTube posting of my newborn grandchild passing gas be far behind?

1. Andrew Blackman - Site Author 11 May 2012 at 4:18 pm

Be careful, it’s a slippery slope 😉 Glad I was able to be a bad influence for once – normally I’m far too sensible!

7. Vishy 20 May 2012 at 1:37 pm

Beautiful pictures, Andrew! Nice to know that you have a new friend 🙂 Bluebell is a beautiful name!