“The author of genius does keep til his last breath the spontaneity, the ready sensitiveness, of a child, the “innocence of eye” that means so much to a painter, the ability to respond freshly and quickly to new scenes, and to old scenes as though they were new; to see traits and characteristics as though [...]
Tag Archives | writing quotes
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. Neil Gaiman The Guardian, Feb 2010
Trust your reader. Not everything needs to be explained. If you really know something, and breathe life into it, they’ll know it too. Esther Freud The Guardian, Feb 2010
You see more sitting still than chasing after. Jonathan Franzen The Guardian, Feb 2010
Remember, if you sit at your desk for 15 or 20 years, every day, not counting weekends, it changes you. It just does. It may not improve your temper, but it fixes something else. It makes you more free. – Anne Enright The Guardian, Feb 2010
Have regrets. They are fuel. On the page they flare into desire. Geoff Dyer The Guardian, Feb 2010
A problem with a piece of writing often clarifies itself if you go for a long walk. – Helen Dunmore The Guardian, Feb 2010
Be kind to yourself. Fill pages as quickly as possible; double space, or write on every second line. Regard every new page as a small triumph. – Roddy Doyle The Guardian, Feb 2010
Don’t sit down in the middle of the woods. If you’re lost in the plot or blocked, retrace your steps to where you went wrong. Then take the other road. And/or change the person. Change the tense. Change the opening page. – Margaret Atwood The Guardian, Feb 2010
- The 20 best Caribbean book blogs 1 October 2012
- Liebster Award reloaded 1 November 2012
- The cafe killer 29 October 2012
- The Kindle Report: does it beat paper? 4 December 2012
- The next big thing… 4 January 2013
- We could take a train, be miles away by morning… 6 May 2013
- Ten years ago: Voluntary poverty in New York City 30 April 2013
- Some interviews 22 April 2013
- Giveaway: Granta Best of Young British Novelists 2003 18 April 2013
- How to Improve your Foreign Language Immediately 15 April 2013
- Geo Marquez: week*...
- Geo Marquez: I read for 9 hours a day of pure science fiction a...
- Evan: What I'm starting to think here is that the refer...
- Brian Joseph: Sounds like a super trip. Have a great time Andrew...
- Charlie: All the best to you both. Crete most definitely b...