When Barack Obama was elected US President in 2008 “The Onion” ran the headline “black man given nation’s worst job”. Much as I found their take on events amusing, even being President during this period of such economic misery can’t compare to what really is the worst job in the world: writing.
Tag Archives | mark piggott
I was on a panel recently at Whitechapel Idea Store with Alex Wheatle and Mark Piggott, discussing “London: fact and fiction”. When I heard a week in advance what the topic was going to be, I thought about all the famous London books I hadn’t read, starting with Alex Wheatle’s and taking in other big [...]
When I lived in America, I went driving along the coast of Maine once. My girlfriend at the time was experimenting with a new photographic technique, some way of punching up the colours so that when I look at our photos everything is more vivid: verdant green grass against a bright blue see and the [...]
One of my fellow Legend Press authors, Mark Piggott, wrote an interesting article in the Independent about ‘state of the nation’ novels. I thought it would be complaining that nobody’s writing about contemporary British issues these days – there’s been quite a bit of that recently, because historical novels have been getting a lot of [...]
- The 20 best Caribbean book blogs 1 October 2012
- The cafe killer 29 October 2012
- Liebster Award reloaded 1 November 2012
- The Kindle Report: does it beat paper? 4 December 2012
- The next big thing… 4 January 2013
- We could take a train, be miles away by morning… 6 May 2013
- Ten years ago: Voluntary poverty in New York City 30 April 2013
- Some interviews 22 April 2013
- Giveaway: Granta Best of Young British Novelists 2003 18 April 2013
- How to Improve your Foreign Language Immediately 15 April 2013
- Evan: What I'm starting to think here is that the refer...
- Brian Joseph: Sounds like a super trip. Have a great time Andrew...
- Charlie: All the best to you both. Crete most definitely b...
- Ptm: Oooooooo - this makes me think veronica and jack w...
- TS: Tony and Adrian being the same person is problemat...