Hmm, this site seems to have been on autopilot for a while now. What’s going on? Well a few things. First, summer. It’s a fleeting thing in England, and you have to grab every sunny day you can get. I’ve been outside a lot, enjoying London. Now that I’m starting to hunker down for the [...]
Archive | September, 2010
“Truth is not an unveiling which destroys the secret, but a revelation that does it justice.” —Walter Benjamin (via Crazyhorse Journal)
“An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.” —Charles Bukowski (for this and other recent quotes, thanks to Crazyhorse Journal)
“Writing is finally a series of permissions you give yourself to be expressive in certain ways. To leap. To fly. To fail.” —Susan Sontag
“Always pull back—and see how silly we must look to God.” —Jack Kerouac
I was just going through some old magazines and came across a fascinating article in New Scientist – web version here. It describes how chimpanzees were observed carrying around the bodies of dead infants for weeks or even months. In many ways, their mothers treated the corpses as though they were still alive: they groomed [...]
- The 20 best Caribbean book blogs 1 October 2012
- The cafe killer 29 October 2012
- Liebster Award reloaded 1 November 2012
- The Kindle Report: does it beat paper? 4 December 2012
- The next big thing… 4 January 2013
- We could take a train, be miles away by morning… 6 May 2013
- Ten years ago: Voluntary poverty in New York City 30 April 2013
- Some interviews 22 April 2013
- Giveaway: Granta Best of Young British Novelists 2003 18 April 2013
- How to Improve your Foreign Language Immediately 15 April 2013
- Evan: What I'm starting to think here is that the refer...
- Brian Joseph: Sounds like a super trip. Have a great time Andrew...
- Charlie: All the best to you both. Crete most definitely b...
- Ptm: Oooooooo - this makes me think veronica and jack w...
- TS: Tony and Adrian being the same person is problemat...