Writing in 1957, Jung is very concerned with the Cold War, Communism and the threat of nuclear disaster. However, his points seem very salient in 2008 as well. He is alarmed about ‘mass-mindedness’ — the reduction of individuals to anonymous, like-thinking units of humanity, to be manipulated by propaganda and advertising into fulfilling whatever function [...]
Archive | February, 2008
This was a strange book: all the reviews say how honest and uncompromising it is, and yet in the end I didn’t believe it. The basic plot is very simple. A man, Jay, is leaving his long-time partner, Susan, and their two young sons. The book is an extended inner monologue by Jay covering the [...]
- The 20 best Caribbean book blogs 1 October 2012
- The cafe killer 29 October 2012
- Liebster Award reloaded 1 November 2012
- The Kindle Report: does it beat paper? 4 December 2012
- The next big thing… 4 January 2013
- We could take a train, be miles away by morning… 6 May 2013
- Ten years ago: Voluntary poverty in New York City 30 April 2013
- Some interviews 22 April 2013
- Giveaway: Granta Best of Young British Novelists 2003 18 April 2013
- How to Improve your Foreign Language Immediately 15 April 2013
- Geo Marquez: week*...
- Geo Marquez: I read for 9 hours a day of pure science fiction a...
- Evan: What I'm starting to think here is that the refer...
- Brian Joseph: Sounds like a super trip. Have a great time Andrew...
- Charlie: All the best to you both. Crete most definitely b...